News Unfit

All the news that's unfit to print!

28 June 2005

Woo-HOO!


OTTAWA, Ontario (Reuters) -- Canada's Parliament was set Tuesday to approve legislation that will allow same-sex marriages across the country, despite fierce opposition from conservative legislators and religious groups.

A majority of parliamentarians support the legislation, which would make Canada only the third country after Belgium and the Netherlands to allow gay marriages.


--CNN


My parents once asked me why I was so strongly in support of gay marriage when I myself am straight. I replied because of them. Specifically, their marriage. Mom is Chinese while Dad is Jewish. Different races. I believe they were married in 1965 (maybe 1968 at the latest), while miscegenation was struck down in 1967. Interpretted most broadly, miscegenation laws could have prevented their marriage.

Of course, conservatives would argue that the two are not the same thing. Gay marriage is against God, and straight marriage is for the purpose of having children. Well, they used to say interracial marriage was against God too, and I don't know about your parents, but mine never took a pregnancy or fertility test before they got married. Heck, they didn't even have me until some 10-13 years after marriage. They did not marry with the purpose of having kids. And if marriage's main purpose is to have kids, why not let the gay couples adopt all the children that weren't aborted?

Hm, I wonder if Christian conservatives would also consider it a sin for single parents to adopt.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home