News Unfit

All the news that's unfit to print!

18 June 2005

Military Recruiting and NCLB

Among all the other fervor and complaints over No Child Left Behind, one that's been overlooked until now is that schools are required to give students' information to military recruiting agents.


A provision of President Bush's No Child Left Behind Act requires school districts to provide military recruiters with student phone numbers and addresses or risk losing millions in federal education funding. Parents or students 18 and over can "opt out" by submitting a written request to keep the information private.
--CNN


The main objections are regarding the aggressive and sometimes deceitful recruiting practices of the military, and the probability that recruiters will target people of color and low income districts as said students are less likely to attend college after high school. The ACLU is suing the Albuquerque (NM) public schools for not informing the parents of the opt-out.

My concern is regarding privacy, and more specifically, how do the schools confirm the identity of the recruiter before releasing the students' sensitive identifying information? What if a serial pedophile decided to try some more flavors and dropped by an army surplus store on his way to an area high school? Or what if an identity thief wanted to open some new credit card accounts? If I had kids, I'd opt them out and grill the principal on how s/he releases the information on top of that!


1 Comments:

At 6:29 AM, Blogger Mike Hitchen said...

This rather worrying issue, reminds me of the old Tom Paxton song, "What did you learn in school today?"

"What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?

I learned that war is not so bad,
I learned about the great ones we have had,
We fought in Germany and in France,
And someday I might get my chance.
And that's what I learned in school today. That's what I learned in school"

Very nice blog
Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home