News Unfit

All the news that's unfit to print!

27 June 2005

Pregnant cancer mother kept alive

Interestingly, I support this case. I find myself dissecting my own feelings. A 26-year-old pregnant woman had terminal cancer, which caused a brain hemmorage in the last few days. She was 17 weeks pregnant, and the child must be carried to 25 weeks for the potential preemie to have a good chance to survive.

The woman, Susan Torres, is brain dead, and is only being kept alive by a ventilator. To me, she is dead. Seventeen weeks of pregnancy is around 4 months, and the embryo is not yet able to sustain itself outside the womb, even with an incubator. To me, the baby is not yet alive.

And yet...


Husband Jason Torres, 26, decided to keep his wife, with whom he has a two-year-old son, on life-support after doctors determined that she would not recover.

He said it is what his wife would have wanted. "We definitely didn't talk about this situation," he told local media.

"I just know that Susan would walk through hell and back to save her child, and give her child a chance."


-- BBC


1 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger BurnTheFat said...

It is a sad story and I, interestingly enough, also support the decision. If my loved one were dying and I had a chance to have OUR child continue on, I would definitely make that decision.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home