News Unfit

All the news that's unfit to print!

01 August 2006

"Mercury rising"

Oh great, nothing I like better than a news article that obliquely references astrology. The article's really about the heat wave in the Eastern US, but they have all these cheesy lines about "Mercury rising" that it just drives me nuts! I just spent two weeks at astrocamp trying to defuse crap like that! I had four arguments against astrology:
  1. If you read your horoscope from a previous day, there's no way you can distinguish it from the 11 incorrect ones. Astrology's predictive powers aren't.

  2. The sun wasn't actually in your constellation on your birthday. It's called precession kiddos.

  3. The amount of time the sun spends in each constellation isn't equal. Some astrologers counter with "oh, we use houses, not constellations" but that's to ad hoc-y to me.

  4. What about Ophiuchus?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home