News Unfit

All the news that's unfit to print!

10 September 2005

Big Brit Blasts Bush Business (BBC)




Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott has criticised the US's record on combating global warming in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, which devastated New Orleans.

In a speech in Berlin, Mr Prescott took a swipe at the US government, which has refused to sign the Kyoto Protocol.
...
"As a European negotiator at the Kyoto climate change convention, I was fully aware that climate change is changing weather patterns and raising sea levels," he said.

Some commentators have suggested Katrina is an example of the type of storms that will become more common with global warming.
...
But the US government has been reluctant to accept that human activity is to blame.

In his speech, Mr Prescott also hailed the US city mayors who had ignored their federal government's position and had taken action locally to limit carbon emissions.
...
"I'm proud that Britain has already achieved its Kyoto target on greenhouse gas emissions - six years ahead of time, with a growing economy."

(BBC)


Last one's interesting to me b/c of the argument US conservatives put forth that the country would lose money if we signed the Kyoto protocol. I guess it would affect us more than Britain since they don't actually manufacture cars as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), but I still think it's necessary.

Anyone else think Prescott looks scary?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home