News Unfit

All the news that's unfit to print!

30 August 2005

Staying Behind


A man in Biloxi told CNN affiliate WKRG-TV he believed his wife was killed after she was ripped from his grasp when their home split in half.

"I held her hand as tight as I could," the man said. "She told me, 'You can't hold me.' She told me to take care of the kids and the grandkids ... we ain't got nowhere to go. I'm lost. That's all I had."
...
CNN's Adaora Udoji, monitoring the rescue efforts, said authorities had ferried at least 500 people from their homes, flooded with as much as six feet of water. Some residents reported water rose so fast they did not have time to grab their shoes.

(CNN)


Perhaps I'm cold hearted, but I believe that if there's a mandatory evacuation, and someone STILL doesn't leave their house, emergency crews shouldn't be oligated to rescue them. I'm not saying this out of hatred of their stupidity (though I admit it's there), but out of sheer economics and time prioritization. There are 1 million people without homes right now. The time and money spent saving the 500-odd idiots who disobeyed the evacuation order could be better spent helping the people who DID do the right thing. I hope the city/state sues those assholes for the cost of their rescue, and a little extra to start rebuilding the city.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home